Hyattsville’s Dr. Qadira Huff’s been offering happy, helpful advice on ways to keep our mental and physical health strong long before the coronavirus was even on our radar. Her monthly Walk with a Doc events extended open invitations to our local community to join Dr. Huff and her family in wellness walks around town.
(Last month’s walk, for instance, focused on lifestyle approaches and screening related to colorectal cancer prevention in honor of Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month.)
Dr. Qadira Huff of Hyattsville
While these community walks are understandably on hiatus, Dr. Huff is still doing her thang – sharing warm and practical advice for navigating living life during the current pandemic with her Family Wellness Survival Toolkit on Instagram.
Today, Dr. Huff shares one of these great tips with Route One Fun readers: Write a letter to your loved ones. ❤ Most of us remember how sweet it was to get a letter in the mail! Let’s do it again for those who we cannot be near but who are certainly in our hearts – and help the USPS while doing so, too!
Weekend Family Wellness Tip: Letters to Your Loved Ones
By Dr. Qadira Ali Huff:
Social isolation and loneliness can harm us mentally and physically. Our elders are even more vulnerable to this given the technology generational divide – so they may be missing out on video chats, etc, like my own Granny is.
Join me this weekend in helping your kiddo write a letter to a family elder, and then take a walk outside to put in the mailbox!
This activity will add sunshine to your day and that of your beloved elder! 💚
Sending wishes for love & wellness your way,
Check out more of Dr. Huff’s great advice here.
Learn more about Walk with a Doc Hyattsville here.
Many thanks to Dr. Huff for sharing this great, practical advice with our Route One Fun community!
More Community COVID-19 Resources
- These Route 1 Small Businesses sell homemade face masks!
- Don’t forget – these local grocery stores offer special shopping hours for our older friends and those with compromised immune systems.
- And these local pharmacies now offer free 1-2 day delivery of your prescription medications.
- Fun, FREE kids activities? Mandy’s bursting with ideas here.
- One-Stop Shop guide to educational resources during these times? UMD’s COViD-19 Family Resource Guide is very helpful.
- Need some sunshine today? Check out the latest Furry Friends of Route 1 – featuring University Park’s Ollie and Masha.
- Need a break from coronavirus info? Read up on Lakeland, the Historic African American Community of College Park.
- Here’s a list of local businesses providing alcohol-delivery and curbside pickup near the Route 1 corridor.
- Thought it was too late to get a library card? No worries! You can get a PGCMLS Virtual Library card today! Audiobooks, music, movies galore!
- Here’s a way you can help our local baristas, bartenders, servers who are out of work right now: SoHy Co-op Virtual Tip Jar.
If you found this post helpful, please share it with your friends and neighbors.