Summers at the Adelphi Pool
We’ve been members of the Adelphi Pool now for many years and always look forward to summers there. The Adelphi Pool is so popular at our house that around January 1st, my youngest usually starts asking me how many days are left until the pool opens! After all, who wouldn’t look forward to:
- An olympic-sized pool is surrounded by trees and open space;
- A fenced-in kiddie pool with lovely shaded picnic and play area;
- A snack bar that saves you from needing to remember everything all the time;
- A record-winning swim team makes dolphins out of guppies;
- Option to bring and responsibly enjoy your favorite canned brewskies; &
- Good people as far as the eye can see!
While Covid-19 has temporarily impacted how the pool operates, the reasonable safety measures implemented by the board during the 2020 season kept everyone safe and happy at this much loved oasis!
Summer 2021 at the Adelphi Pool
The Adelphi Pool will open for the season on May 29th. Just what will summer at the pool this year look like, though? The Adelphi Pool board can’t make operational decisions for 2021 until they receive guidance from the Department of Health. When that does happen, the board will email members and post information on the website. What we can do is give you a glimpse into how last summer went, just to give you an idea of how things *may* look this summer.
About Last Summer
- Attendance was limited, which meant that members had to choose specific, 2-hour time slots to enjoy the pool. (This ended up working out well as our daily time slot played a welcome anchor to a season that was wildly unmoored.)
- Contactless check-in at the front desk. When it was our time to leave, we’d pack up our stuff (usually beach chair, towels, snacks) and then head to exit by the back gate so as to minimize congestion.
- Face masks and social distancing. When not in the pool, members were required to wear a face mask and responsible for keeping a safe distance from others.
- BYO furniture. This meant slogging your chair/whatever in and out every visit. Not a huge inconvenience in light of the entry benefit gained. (The website currently suggests that furniture will be available for use; details are being ironed out.)
- Bathrooms were limited to emergency use. Changing rooms/areas were closed. Practically speaking, this meant that before every visit, we’d empty our proverbial tanks, suit up and then head to the pool.
- No guests or parties. Due to capacity restrictions, neither guests nor parties were allowed. It’s unclear whether this restriction will change this year or not.
- Snack bar was closed. (Website currently states that there will be a snack bar for the Summer 2021 season.)
- Swim team. The beloved Adelphi Dolphins did not participate in league meets in 2020, though they did allow for in-water swim practices. (Our dude loves the swim team and will be elated to hear that they expect to have a swim team program this year!)
Adelphi Pool Membership – Register Today!
So there you have it! While the operating procedures might not yet be set in stone, we do know that last summer was fantastic and membership slots for this summer are running out – so register today to be a part of the 2021 Pool Season at the Adelphi Pool!
If you’re new to the pool, submit a membership application form ASAP. (And don’t forget to let them know you heard about it on Route One Fun!) Returning members can register for the 2021 Pool Season at Adelphi Pool here.
The Adelphi Pool is located at 9442 Riggs Road, Hyattsville MD 20783.
This post is sponsored by the Adelphi Pool, whose pool membership is one that we believe would be appealing to Route One Fun readers!