Hopping on the Metro with the kids and heading in to explore DC is one of the great benefits to living along the Route 1 Corridor. We recently did just so on a quest to check out “Saturday Morning at the National,” a live theatre series of free and interactive family programs at the National Theatre. Another great, indoor fun option for Route 1 Kids!
Saturday Morning Live! at the National Theatre
The Saturday Morning Live! at the National series aims to provide an experience that encourages children to look outside their communities and discover a world of wonder. And if our first experience with the family-friendly circus clowns – Pinot & Augustine – was any indication, we’ll definitely be back to enjoy more of these performances with our budding thespians!
Get Ready for Some Fun!
This series for preschoolers & school-aged kiddos is really worth checking out! It runs about an hour or so and is indoors – especially perfect for this time of year!
Happenstance Theatre‘s performance of Pinot and Augustine was just so much fun! Everyone in the crowd was laughing – and the kids got to hear and learn some French. Afterwards, the performers invited the children up for some memorable photo opps – like this one!
Reserve Tickets & Arrive Early
There are two remaining performances for this year’s Saturday Morning Live! at the National: The Nutcracker on Saturday, December 14th and ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas on Saturday, December 21st.
Know Before You Go
- Check out the Saturday Morning Live! calendar here and register for free tickets ahead of time.
- Arrive at least 15 minutes before show time.
- Metro’ing? Green/Yellow line to Gallery Place; the theatre’s about a 10-15 minute walk.
- There’s a Pret a Mange across the street, just in case you want to inhale a coffee before the show! (Or have a decent, close by place to nosh afterwards.)
- Seating is limited (so see above about registering for tickets & arriving early)
- Walk-up tickets may also be available – but getting tickets ahead of time is always best!
- Most shows are best suitable for children ages four and up.
- Bathrooms, with changing tables, are on the same floor as the performance.
- Children sit on the floor closest to the performance (Parents are welcome to join them or sit on a handful of seats behind by the non-open bar area. If you do sit on the floor with your kiddo, though, do us all a solid and try to sit by the wall; a big, old noggin’ blocking a five-year old’s view seriously depletes your daily self-awareness quotient. 😉
The Nutcracker & ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas
Our experience at Saturday Morning Live! at the National was a great one and definitely on our list of things to do again. After all, not much can beat fun, quality, culture-filled performances – especially when they’re free! If you want to get tickets for either The Nutcracker on Saturday, December 14th and ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas on Saturday, December 21st, recommend you do so ASAP (tickets reserved beginning 8 days prior to the performance).
The National Theatre is located at 1321 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Washington DC 20004